"You crown the year with Your goodness, And Your paths drip with abundance." PSALMS 65:11(NKJV)

Welcome, Jan!

>> Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My friend Jan Ackerson is guest posting on Reflections today.  Welcome Jan, and thank you for sharing one of your amazing stories with us.
Is it possible to capture a character in one hundred words?
Jan accepted this challenge and excelled in writing “teeny little fiction.” In one hundred words, this gifted author touches on many different genres. She delights the reader with humor, suspense, drama and even romance.

Maybe Tonight

Laura took her friend’s hand. “Come out with us tonight,” she said. “You can’t spend your whole life in this house.”

“Maybe tonight he’ll come home.” Anne pulled her hand away. “Thanks, but I’ll stay here. Go on without me.”

After Laura left, Anne made a cup of tea. She took it to her chair by the window, the one with threadbare arms. She pushed the curtain aside and whispered his name.

He didn’t come home that night. But he came closer than he’d come in months. He saw the curtain, the shadows of movement as she stirred her tea.

For more of these wonderful one hundred word stories check out Jan’s blog. http://www.1hundred-words.com

16 comments:

songbyrd on the mountain September 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I think she's waiting for her cat. ;)

dandelionfleur September 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

ooh, romance AND tea--this is so Rita!

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM

And you are so sweet, lisa! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

songbyrd, thanks for visiting! I like the way you think. Definitely the cat! LOL

Hanne Moon September 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Jan's ability to bring a whole story together in 100 words or less is wonderful! She is such a talented writer and editor, and I love reading her stuff. :) And yes, Lisa -- this is so Rita! We have conflict, faith, and a future hope, all rolled into one --

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Thanks, Hanne. Jan is amazing!
Hugs to you.

Karlene Jacobsen September 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I thought cat too. BUT I also like the intrigue and romantic notion that maybe it's her lost love, maybe he's scarred hideously from war and . . .

OK so I want Jan to finish the story!

Love this, Rita and Jan.

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

That's one of the things I love about Jan's one hundred word stories. They leave room for the reader's interpretation.
And I love where your mind went with this Karls. Maybe you should finish it. :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Yvonne Blake September 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Oh boy! Jan did it again! This one can be interpreted so many ways.

I was thinking of a son who had left home. (but I like the cat idea better... although having a missing cat is sad enough)

Great job, Jan.

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Vonnie, thanks so for the added twist. I never thought of that, it could have indeed been a son. Glad you stopped by. :)

B. J. Robinson September 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Interesting and makes the reader want to know more. He saw the curtain, and the shadows of movement. Makes you wonder why he just doesn't go on home. Great job. Blessings, BJ Robinson

Anita van der Elst September 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I wonder what's in that tea? What kind of expression does Anne have on her face as she stirs it? Did he come that close to try to see if she still harbors ill will toward him? Oh, I see sinister things in those shadows of movement. ;-)

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Barb, thanks for stopping by. It does make you wonder, doesn't? Who knew one hundred words could say so much and leave so much speculation. :)

Rita Garcia September 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Oh, I like that thought, Anita! I do wonder what might be in her tea. LOL Welcome and thanks for joining us today!:)

BethL September 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I "think" it's her son that she's hoping will return. He's getting closer, perhaps a sequel will bring him home (and perhaps the mystery will be revealed). *hint, hint* :)

Rita Garcia September 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM

A sequel, now there's a great idea. Thanks for stopping by, Beth! Hugs!